Updated: Suspects Identified in San Bernardino Rampage


Update (12/3/2015, 11:50 a.m.): Speaking from the Oval Office on Thursday, President Barack Obama announced that the FBI had officially taken over the investigation looking into the San Bernardino shooting. He said it was “possible” the attack was terrorist-related, but that authorities had yet to determine the motivations behind it.

Update (12/3/2015, 7:40 a.m.): San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan identified the deceased suspects as Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. In a press conference early Thursday morning, Burguan said Farook was a county public health official who left a Christmas party held at Inland Regional Center feeling “angry.” He later returned to the party with Malik and opened fire. 

Update (12/2/2015, 5:56 p.m.): At a press conference Wednesday night, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan confirmed that two suspects, a man and a woman, were shot and killed during a gun battle with the police hours after a mass shooting left at least 14 dead at a social services center. Both suspects were heavily armed with assault rifles and handguns, Burguan said, and dressed in “tactical gear.” Burguan added that a third person was seen fleeing from the shootout scene and was then detained by the police, though it remains unclear whether that person was involved in the shooting. Meanwhile, a residence in Redlands, California, is being scrutinized by the police after a black SUV carrying the suspects left that location earlier in the day.

Update (12/2/2015, 5 p.m.): The San Bernardino police say two suspects are “being dealt with” after a car chase and a shootout with a black SUV. Authorities now say the Southern California mass shooting has left 14 people dead and 17 others injured. Sergeant Vicki Cervantes, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino sheriff’s office, told the Los Angeles Times that another suspect may be at large.

At least 14 people are dead and 14 others are wounded after heavily armed gunmen opened fire inside a facility that assists people with developmental disabilities in San Bernardino, California, the police confirmed in a news conference Wednesday afternoon. The area remains under lockdown as a manhunt for up to three suspects continues.

The Guardian and the LA Times, citing police officials, report that authorities are searching for an SUV that was used to flee the scene. The police confirm that a suspect was seen wearing what is being described as “tactical gear.” The attackers used “long guns, not handguns,” San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said in the news conference. 

 

“We do not know where the suspects are,” Burguan told reporters. “At minimum we have domestic-type terrorism situation.”

This is a breaking news post. We will update as more information becomes available.

TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

We have an ambitious $350,000 online fundraising goal this month and it's truly crunch time: About 15 percent of our yearly online giving usually comes in during the final week of the year, and in "No Cute Headlines or Manipulative BS," we explain why we simply can't afford to come up short right now.

The bottom line: Corporations and powerful people with deep pockets will never sustain the type of journalism Mother Jones exists to do. And advertising or profit-driven ownership groups will never make time-intensive, in-depth reporting viable.

That's why donations big and small make up 74 percent of our budget this year. There is no backup to keep us going, no alternate revenue source, no secret benefactor. If readers don’t donate, we won’t be here. It's that simple.

And if you can help us out with a donation right now, all online gifts will be matched thanks to an incredibly generous matching gift pledge.

payment methods

TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

We have an ambitious $350,000 online fundraising goal this month and it's truly crunch time: About 15 percent of our yearly online giving usually comes in during the final week of the year, and in "No Cute Headlines or Manipulative BS," we explain why we simply can't afford to come up short right now.

The bottom line: Corporations and powerful people with deep pockets will never sustain the type of journalism Mother Jones exists to do. And advertising or profit-driven ownership groups will never make time-intensive, in-depth reporting viable.

That's why donations big and small make up 74 percent of our budget this year. There is no backup to keep us going, no alternate revenue source, no secret benefactor. If readers don’t donate, we won’t be here. It's that simple.

And if you can help us out with a donation right now, all online gifts will be matched thanks to an incredibly generous matching gift pledge.

payment methods

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our free newsletter

Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily to have our top stories delivered directly to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate