- Inside the rising movement of soldiers, cops, and sheriffs who believe it’s their constitutional duty to resist a tyrannical Obama administration.
- For Us Surrender Is Out of the Question
I’d signed up to teach English to Burmese democracy activists. Little did I know that their real mission was far more dangerous—and that the US considered them terrorists.
- PLUS:The killer apps inside your iPhone
- Blood and Treasure
The people of Congo might not be so poor if their country weren’t so rich.
- Dr. Clooney, I Presume?
Madonna, Oprah, Brangelina, and Paris battle for control of Africa’s most precious resource: publicity.
- Cash on Delivery
Everything can be outsourced to India, even pregnancy. Inside the rent-a-womb business.
- PLUS:Tracing hair extensions to their roots
- Game Changer
How a master of the political dark arts went from shilling for Big Tobacco and George H.W. Bush to fighting like hell for gay marriage
- A Place for Us
Will New York’s mentally ill adults ever get the homes the state promised them?
As a public service, nonprofit Mother Jones has released the full contents of this issue to all site visitors.
Anything you tweet will be used against you, can aliens solve climate change?; Congo’s fashion plates; Texas cracks down on public drunkenness—in bars; America’s most bizarre booze laws; why Congress’ biggest Afghanistan buff doesn’t back Obama’s surge; a roaming revolutionary’s tropical retreat; MoJo readers pay it forward; the military’s deadly garbage problem
- Married for a Minute
- Is Iran’s mullah-backed system of temporary marriage a godsend for the sexually frustrated—or religious prostitution?
Gil Scott-Heron: The godfather of rap gets ready to make noise again, plus more music (The Way of the World, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, The Big To-Do, San Patricio), book (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Devil and Mr. Casement, The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History), and film (What’s the Matter With Kansas) reviews.
- The Superconductor
- Maestro Michael Tilson Thomas on bringing classical music to the YouTube generation and why conducting is an awesome workout
- Much Ado About Cutting
- Getting snippy about the circumcision debate
Cover photograph by Lucian Read